Nova is the OpenStack project that provides a way to provision compute instances. Nova supports the creation of virtual machines, baremetal servers and offers limited support for system containers.
- Manages the instances catalog
- Processes the requests for creation of instances (relation with the hypervisor)
- Manages the placement of instances on compute nodes
- Provides metadata (systems and users) to the instances
- Provides networking functions (limited)
- Provides access to instances (VNC, console, Spice...)
- Supports: KVM, Xen, ESXi, Hyper-V, Docker and LXC